Kahrs Dedication to Environmentally Friendly Flooring
There are many shortcuts that are taken in the flooring industry that have detrimental effects on the environment. However, Kahrs goes to great lengths in order to protect the environment. Raw materials are optimized in order to decrease waste and emissions. Kahrs also pre-cuts the logs that are shipped to the factory in order to reduce space and increase efficiency. The excess that is not used in producing the wood floors is then converted to biofuel, used to produce energy to heat Kahrs factory, or sold to a local energy company in order to heat the neighborhood. Thus, as can be perceived, Kahrs is not only a wood flooring producer, but also a major energy producer! Kahrs is so dedicated to reducing energy usage and benefiting the environment that they re-use the ash from the heating plant to fertilize local forestry operations. Kahrs has reduced their use of raw materials by roughly 25% due to their environmental efforts.
Kahrs Quick Flooring Facts
- Kahrs wood flooring is available in over ten wood species.
- Kahrs only produces wood flooring, a raw material that is renewable.
- This company only does business with suppliers that have an FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) or PEFC (Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) certificate, or those that clearly show they are dedicated to protecting the environment.
- The modern wood floor was invented by Kahrs in 1941, consisting of a multi-layer construction in which raw materials are used most effectively.
- In 1984, Kahrs become the first flooring manufacturer in the world to have a production process that was entirely solvent-free.
- Kahrs flooring installation process eliminates the use of glue, using the Woodloc® method.
- Only stains and finishes that are environmentally-friendly are used.
- Kahrs flooring is easy to clean and maintain, without using strong chemicals.
Kahrs Flooring Philosophy
"Our Swedish heritage characterizes our business in many ways, from our deep-rooted respect for the environment and our commitment to quality, to the clean, Scandinavian design of our floors." "We are dedicated to finding the most environmentally-friendly ways to produce our floors. We call it Beauty with a Conscience."
Woodloc Floor Technology
The installation of a new floor can be tedious and time consuming. However, Kahrs allows the installation to be an easy process that nearly anyone can do! With the Woodloc®; Technology, implemented in 2000, the use of adhesives during the installation process is eliminated. This is possible through the mechanically connected floorboards which create a practically invisible joint. In 2010, Kahrs introduced Woodloc® 5S which is 25% stronger and locks the floor even more securely.